Concerto For Drum Machines
This is my "Concerto For Drum Machine" piece. For this song, we had to have it play between 3 different sections: an A section, a B section, back to the A section, a C section, and back to the A section again. We learned about the production process, which is Pre-production (getting everything we need to create the song ready, including loops, sounds, etc.), Tracking (putting everything where we want it), Mixing, Mastering (making the sound the best for different environments), and Post-production. We also had to create a lot of different drum and bass loops so that when it came time to track, we had options for what we thought fit best. I had a lot of fun making this piece, and hope you enjoy it.
This is my ABA song. It is the first full song that we had to create in the class. For this song, the goal was to create a song that moved between 2 different sections: an A section, to a B section, and back to the A section. I thought it would be interesting to try and take one of the stock loops from Soundtrap and chop it into different pieces so that I could manipulate those chops and make it sound how I wanted. I think it turned out pretty interesting. I wanted each part to flow into the next, but not go unnoticed when the switch happened. It was fun to REALLY mess around in Soundtrap and see what you could do in the program. I really got a feel for how to use it, and by our next song, I felt a lot a more comfortable.
For this project, we had to create a song entirely in the Dorian mode, specifically in the key of D minor. I started by finding the notes of the D Minor scale for the key of the piece making a sweep, or a chord with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the scale. Once I made the sweep, I started getting creative. I added a drum few drum loops to keep the whole thing sounding interesting and to keep a steady pulse, with a drum fill at the end. I made a couple of bass loops with the notes of the scale so that I would have options later for how I wanted the bassline to sound and did the same thing with medium and high melodies to give some more variation throughout the track. After making another melody to switch the song to later, I was done. I arranged the tracks in the way I wanted them, mixed them and added any effects or pan that I wanted, and finished off the beat. I had a lot of fun making this beat. Finding the flow of the song and using different loops to get the vibe I wanted for the song was something I really enjoyed doing, and I'm happy with how it turned out.
For this project, we were tasked with creating a theme song for a TV show. I wanted to go with something kind of dark and frantic, and originally wanted to make some kind of late night 90's cartoon. However, somewhere in the process, I decided I wanted to make a song that was more of a crime-drama, which is just what I did. I chose the key of (I think) Eb minor, because it was dark and gave the whole show a kind of anxiety that seemed just right for such a show. After we made the theme song, we had to create a trailer to go with it. I added lots of little snippets that just hint at some of the things you would see in the show. From funerals, to detectives writing stuff down, to a mysterious man buried in the shadows, my crime show, "LAWLESS, USA", would be a very fun watch if it were only real. I had a ton of fun making this and trying to figure out how I could effectively portray the mood I wanted, and I'm really happy with how it came out. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making it.